Saturday, January 17, 2009

Arrival

The weather had taken a turn for the worse in Panama City, temperatures were in the 20s.My dad woke me up at 4:10 a.m., not giving me the chance to test out my new alarm, which was set for 4:15. Still dark out, I'm glad my bags are packed and ready to go, it's too early to think. I'm on the plane by 5:30, after I say goodbye to my parents yet again, and I make it to Atlanta by 7:30 EST. The 4 hour flight to Bonaire is 4 hours too long for me, and I'm antsy the whole time, that and I had the window seat, which is not ideal if you have a bladder the size of a walnut... As I get off the plane, I feel that familiar hot, humid air again, and dig through my bag for my sunglasses. I think I may have even gotten some sun just standing in line for customs. The CIEE interns are at the gate waiting for me, and we stop by the grocery store first so I can pick up the Dutch equivalent of Apple Jacks and some Parmalat box milk for breakfast the next day. As we're driving through "downtown" Kralendijk, I feel like we're going down main street at Disneyland, all the buildings are so colorful they don't seem real. We get to the house, and it is just as cool, a Caribbean style building. They show me around and I start to move in. We eat dinner at 5, brought to us by our own chef?! Yes, we have our meals delivered by a chef, and they are delectable. After a brief orientation to the program, we head out to town, and sample the night life but right now all I want to do is fall asleep as I have now been awake for 20 hours. Tomorrow we go exploring!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh the joys of the tiny bladder. i hear ya! Tear it up in Bonaire for me!